The Japanese Garden in Wroclaw was established in the years 1909-1912 in relation to the International Exhibition in 1913. The initiator was duke Fritz von Hochberg from Ilowa and the designer, a Japanese gardener, Mankichi Arai. After the exhibition it was closed down because of the temporary character of many buildings (tea room pavilion, pergoli) and the hired equipment. Things like pathways, the shape of the pond are preserved together with the southern part of the garden and its hilly landscape, watercourse and the vegetation.
Between 1996 and 1997 in cooperation of the Japanese Embassy, Polish gardeners and Japanese ones from Nagoja, managed by Yoshiki Takamure, work was carried out to restore the garden its Japanese character. Two months after the solemn opening, in July 1997 during the flood of the century, the Garden was covered with water for three weeks. About 70 per cent of the vegetation required changing. Another opening was in October 1999. Thanks to the presence of the Japanese experts, all the projects and works, with the smallest details, refer to the original Japanese garden art. Each element of the garden has its place and meaning, sometimes difficult to spot for Europeans.